spoon

Weekly Wrap-Up: Just a Little Blurb

Category: , ,

Since my husband is at home looking for a job most of the time now, I do not have as much time on the computer as I used to. (We only have one. If he gets a job, we can get another, but then we won't need it. Oh, the irony.) While it's worth it to enjoy his presence at home, the competition for computer time is definitely reflected in this Wrap-Up.

We studied the French and Indian War, and so continued with our studies of Native Americans. This included making popcorn with maple syrup poured on top, as the Huron Indians did, and making shields.

Maple Popcorn Recipe:
12 cups popped/salted popcorn
2 c. real maple syrup
1/2 c. butter
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Heat the syrup and butter in a saucepan at medium heat until boiling. Continue boiling/stirring until a the syrup reached 236 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Pour syrup over popcorn and stir to coat (I like to use two bowl so I have room to stir). Spread/arrange/dump popcorn onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake for another 10-15 minutes in oven. Cool and eat!



Bearclaw is reading The Sign of the Beaver, and we all read D'Aulaire's George Washington last week, too.

I'm speeding up Bearclaw's math lessons, because I want to progress to Level 3A in Singapore Math. I also switched Shortbread from Shiller Math to Singapore, because the latter offers more opportunities for him to do some of the work on his own, which is helpful while I'm working with Bearclaw.

We've stalled out on our family read-alouds, so we need to get that going again.

As for everything else, it will have to wait. And it will.

Comment (1)

Sounds like a fun week to me, especially the popcorn! Our family read-alouds have stalled, as well, all thanks to our watching Jeopardy during the holiday break. The girls are hooked.